Visitors

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

my birthday.

a few weeks ago my friend had a birthday. when i asked her how she was feeling about it, she replied: what? i feel great! this is my very favorite holiday - it's all about me. people get to tell you how much they love you and you get to celebrate yourself.

i loved that. it's true. it's a day to celebrate who you are and how far you have come. it's a day to think about what and who you are thankful for and why. it's kind of like a day of reflection (and celebration).

i flip-flop every year with regards to how i feel on my birthday. every other year i want to keep it top secret and not talk about it with anyone. and then the alternate years i just want to throw a huge party and scream it from the rooftops. depends on my mood i guess.

my parents called today - skyped to wish me a happy birthday. and i stood in my kitchen and watched them tell me about the morning i was born. about only having lived in the US 4 years but still having taken lamaze classes (which they roll their eyes at when they talk about now). they talked about how much my mom screamed and cursed in the process and how happy she was, they both were, right afterwards. so many years ago today...that happened.

today is the day i will be grateful for life and all the gifts it has given.

No comments: