Visitors

Sunday, October 23, 2011

dialogue

i had a class assignment to write dialogue. the rule was to write a conversation that says one thing but means another. dialogue with subtext. here was my attempt.

“Did you remember to take the trash out?”

“Nah, forgot. Something came up. I’ll do it now.”

“I don’t need you to do it now. I needed you to do it when I asked you to do it.“ Olivia places the last plate into the dishwasher and wipes her hands on the towel. “Besides, I’ve done it already.”

Richard peers around the corner into the long, narrow kitchen. “If you already knew I didn’t take it out, then why did you ask?”

“Taking out the trash doesn’t need a reminder. It stays too long - it stinks. It’s just something you have to take care of. Right then. Right when it’s needed…”

“Your mother called today. She said she needs to talk to you. I left a note by the phone, did you get it?”

“…not when you feel like it.” His attempt to pull her away from the trash fails. “Things stay too long they stink, they always stink.” Olivia grabs a rag from the counter and begins scrubbing. At first softly but then with more and more fervor.

“I just wish you would leave it. You end up doing it all the time. You end up taking it out. And it’s my job. I was going to do it.” He feels his temper escalating and decides to head into the bedroom to avoid a more serious confrontation.

“Tomorrow. Tomorrow I’ll leave it for you.”

No comments: