Visitors

Friday, August 12, 2011

Walgreens.

There is a Walgreens right below my apartment in New York City and it is BY FAR the most disorganized, poorly managed, chaotic store I have ever been in. The lines at the register are BEYOND ridiculous for how long it takes to get one single item. There are at least 10 people in line each and every time you go and it always ends up that the person in front of you needs to search through their pockets for 5 minutes for a coupon to buy their carton of milk. It just takes entirely too long.
Now since I have an intense (and probably unhealthy) love for pharmacies, I have never REALLY let all this bother me. I smile and breathe deeply, convincing myself that just living above a pharmacy is luxury enough - who needs the other conveniences. I brag about my Walgreens, proud to shop there. I don't mind that the people behind the counters barely look up at me as they ring up my things and that a grunt from them makes me certain that I live on the happiest block in the City.
But then I experienced the Walgreens here, in the suburban desert. I then realized how low my standards had become. It was not just that the aisles were clear of clutter and that each item was actually in its rightly marked place...it was the customer service. At first I didn't even know quite how to respond to it. I asked the woman for help (I mean that's a big deal in and of itself - there was a WOMAN waiting to be asked for help!) and she literally walked around with me, found everything I needed, answered all my questions, gave me additional advice - all with a HUGE smile on her face.
For the first 3 minutes of our interaction I barely spoke, like a child at the zoo for the first time - amazed that the giraffe I had read about in my books actually did exist. She helped me through my list and then began to check me out at the counter. Being the New Yorker I am, I quickly swiped my debit card before she had even rung up the last item. "Whoopsie daise! You did that too fast - I didn't have a chance to give you your dollar rebate from this item!...Ok, let me just look in here and see what I can find that equals a dollar."
She then proceeded to pull out a basket full of items and dumped everything from travel bottles of shampoo to recyclable bags into my bag of purchases. "OK, there you go, you think that all adds up to a dollar?"
I left that Walgreens changed. Don't know if I can ever go back to the Walgreens below my apartment again without loosing patience. This is why it's never good to know what you are missing.

No comments: