Visitors

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

they laugh together

the other day i had a picnic in the park with my parents and a few friends. i wanted my friends to meet my parents and, even though the time was short, everyone got to talk just a little bit.
as i was saying my goodbyes, one of my friends turned to me and said - they still laugh together.
huh?
your parents, i love that they make each other laugh - they still laugh together.
i hadn't thought of that before. had never really registered. but since she said it i see it all the time. they laugh so much. 37 years of marriage and they laugh.
last night they came home from their day and my dad says, "wait until we tell you the story of what happened to us today - i am going to act it all out for you."
my mom burst into laughter.
hours later when my sister and brother-in-law came home, mom and dad re-enacted their day for us - each laughing and giggling along the way. it was one of the best things i have ever seen.
i realized how important that is for any relationship. for me. the ability to find joy and humor in the things that happen. and to be able to be enjoy life's tiny pleasures. because if you aren't laughing and enjoying along the way - what's the point really?

No comments: