Visitors

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The time Irene hit NYC.

Hurricane Irene visited and with that visit she brought a mixture of excitement, anticipation, and pure anxiety. There was so much hype around her arrival that all of New York was sent into a frenzy. The line at Walgreens was SO long (not that that is anything new) but there were 3 different cashiers (which IS something new). Water bottles were strewn across the aisle floors, batteries were sold out, and people were grabbing candles by the dozens.

Now I for one am extremely grateful to live in a place where things like this are anticipated and therefore precaution can be taken. But I also think that I may have taken it to an extreme. How am I to know? - I come from the desert. All I had heard were horror stories of what a storm like this could do. All I had known were images from when Katrina hit. So prepared I would be, even if it killed me. It was for this reason that 4 pounds of bananas were purchased and why I could convince myself to believe that I needed that bag of beef jerky.

I filled buckets and jars and tupperware and bathtubs full of water. I packed an emergency night bag and taped windows shut. I moved everything off the ground of my 3rd floor apartment building when we weren't even in a flood zone (you can never be too careful). And. Last but not least, I slept in a closet. Huddled together with someone else, in a closet.

And then she came. I barely even heard her. As my friend pointed out, she just farted and left. And all we were left with were bananas and a crap load of water.

No comments: