Visitors

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

the suburbs in NYC.

I grew up in the desert. Everything about growing up had to do with a suburban lifestyle. Everyone had a car, we drove on wide streets, we had high ceilings and backyards, we had over-sized stores with much too much in them, chain restaurants and malls. Centralized air and washing machines were not added pleasures, and neither was natural light.

So when I first moved to Brooklyn, there was a lot of adjustment. There was the taking in and out of the air conditioning units every few months. And the storing of winter clothes because there just isn't enough space. And then of course the hauling of anything - groceries, laundry, a vacuum - across the neighborhood and up 3 flights of stairs.

June of last year I did what my friend Shaadee Mae refers to as me bringing suburbia to NYC.

I think I can now stay here for a bit.

No comments: