Visitors

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Upper West Side Life

Thinking now to my two years on the Upper West Side, it feels somewhat like I was living in a completely different City. It's only a 40 minute train ride but it reminds me of a completely different life. I was in college then, working hard for a Master's Degree that I am still paying for - one that I will continue to pay for for another 37 years, according to my loan officer, who incidentally has also advised me to marry rich. I loved my life there because it transitioned me to New York City.

I was walking in that area tonight and I was reminded of those days, even though they are now 6 years in the past. That yoga studio that kicked my yogi ass two times a week is still there. The cathedral where my graduation ceremony took place is still there. The restaurant where I bumped into my ex-boyfriend is still there. Even the people asking me for directions every 3 minutes are still there.

But. Most importantly, the AppleTree Market is still there. And I love that place. It was my one stop shop at every hour of the day or night. On all-nighter paper writing sojourns, it offered coffee, sugar, and sushi. In the "morning", whatever time that actually was, it provided breakfast sandwiches on H&H bagels. And if I ran out of printer paper, it had that too. It was my place. It will forever and always remind me of college, of hopes and dreams, of first arriving in New York City.

1 comment:

Shari said...

I remember the Apple Tree Market!! didn't they take a picture of us and put it on their "customer" wall?? Am I just imagining that??