Visitors

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

the rock climber's gift

I met this rock climbing instructor - Chris. Nice guy. I asked him - what do you do? He said - I teach people to climb rocks.

And for some reason, finally, it hit me. The beauty of how different we all truly are. I have no desire in the world to ever climb a rock. But the fact that this is someone else's passion?! The fact that he makes a living by teaching other people where to grab on, how to make the right move, how to manuveur up the side of cliff - crazy!

This makes me appreciative for all the people in the world. All the people who don't like the things I like and are good at all the things I'm not good at. Because that's the only way that things get done and the world moves forward.

I was in a lecture years ago and I heard someone say - you have to find the quality that is deep within you and you need to find a way to make that shine. There is one thing that you are really good at - there is a unique way that the virtues latent within you have come together to form who you are. You have that find that thing, and offer it to the world. If you don't, you're doing the world a disservice.

It's true. We have to find what we are each good at. Find what our own strength is. What our personal gift is. And then, we have to offer it. It's like finding it and then letting it go, almost like it wasn't ours to begin with. That's where the humility comes in. For it's counterpart, the ego, can corrupt what was once beautiful.

Service. Humility. Finding our path. Offering it, generously.

No comments: