Visitors

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dough

It happened first last Friday. I walked up to the parent of a 1st grader at our school to ask him about a project we were working on, and as we spoke he pulled out of a white paper bag, a small, donut sphere covered in cinnamon and sugar. "Um, where did you get that?" I asked - completely stopping mid-sentence in whatever point I was trying to make.

Dough. He said. And proceeded to tell me how Choice Market had a shop where they do all their baking and that the storefront is a donut shop - Dough. I was thrilled - a donut shop right here in our own neighborhood? OK, so it borders Clinton Hill and Bed Stuy, but still.

Later that day, I walked into a classroom as my co-worker described a new donut shop in her area. There it was again - Dough.

I spent the last 5 days in Toronto with my donut obsessed friend. Which naturally rubbed off on me and made me crave them, all throughout Canada. Finally back in New York City, I met up with my friend Russ for a quick hello in the Bank of America tower in mid-town. "Guess what?" he says, "There is a new donut shop in our neighborhood!" "DOUGH!" We practically yell the word at the same moment. He showed me the New York Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/dining/reviews/23unde.html?_r=1) listing it among other such establishments that I know and love - Peter Pan and Doughnut Plant.


So that was that. Mentioned 3 times in the span of a week (with a donut craving brewing all the while) meant that I needed to go find this place. And I did. It was the end of their work day so most options were gone (which of course means another visit is in order), but the donut with chai tea filling was my favorite. Waiting for many, many more visits.

1 comment:

Daina said...

Wow, I can't wait to check it out! You know I am always craving a good donut!