Visitors

Thursday, July 28, 2011

mom's chanting

my mother chants prayers in Persian. she has the most beautiful voice. of course i had always heard it growing up, around the house, when i went bed, in large gatherings, weddings, with friends and with acquaintances.
most recently, however, i have been hearing it as she puts my little niece to sleep. and it works like magic. we will be driving in the car, she will begin to chant, and within seconds - sleep.
it reminds me of my childhood. it reminds me of protection. of feeling taken care of.
today she chanted for the little one. i held her in my arms and mom sat on the rug on the floor and chanted. after 2 prayers she stopped and said: this is the one i would say for you and your sister every day when you lived overseas.
and she chanted. she chanted and tears streamed down her face. as did mine.
and soraya fell asleep in my arms.

2 comments:

Shira19 said...

Sahba you have an amazing gift. Your words constantly bring tears to my eyes. Your "voice" is enchanting and soul stirring and it's easy to see the beauty you find in the world you live in. Thank you for sharing your writing.

Shira19 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.