Visitors

Thursday, May 26, 2011

I Eat Soho

My good friend Nabil has started a blog about eating establishments in SoHo, or rather, any area South of Houston. It's called: I Eat SoHo (www.ieatsoho.com). When I first started reading his blog I was impressed by the selection and the simplicity of a concept which catches on so quickly.

Inspired by his idea, I decided to try something similar on Tuesday evening. I have family in town visiting and thought this might be a prime opportunity to have us all eat our way through Manhattan. I only have a few days with them and TONS of delicious food I want them to try. SO why not do it all in one night?
We started out at the Mac Bar - on Prince Street - and ordered a mushroom mac and cheese baked small tray. Amazing. Cheesy, gooey, full of flavor. We each got about 4 or 5 mouthfuls.

Next, head on down Prince to Elizabeth. On that corner we walked straight into Cafe Habana. But just the side area, not the restaurant, because all we really wanted was corn. Corn smothered in mayo, Mexican cheese, and hot red pepper. Pretty much one of my all time favorite treats. One of the only things my parents crave when they visit me in NYC.

Happily we head up-town a bit. Joined by 2 others, the group is larger. We walk, walk, walk. And down 2nd Avenue we see the small teeny tiny store front of Pommes Frites - a hole in the wall french fry establishment. Only a few square feet wide, this place specializes in delicious fries accompanied with any type of sauce you can imagine. That's where the fun lies, in fact, in the sauce. We tried mango chutney and parmesan pepper - amazing.

At this point we should have stopped. It was humid out. So clothes were already sticking to us and the heavy food we had been consuming, as delicious as it was, was just not boding well. Did this stop us? No.

On we continued, just down the street...to the Dumpling Man. Hot, fresh dumplings were purchased and consumed. Each of us having an "I don't know if I can eat this" look on our faces but the chewing continued.

At this point we all began walking as though we were expecting, even though none of us were. The jeans that once loosely hung, hugged our skin both because of the humidity as well as the amount of food we had just consumed.

BUT.

We had one final destination.
Walk. Walk. Walk.
Momofuku Milk Bar. Pork Buns. We ordered 2 for the 5 of us. Took a bite and couldn't even bring ourselves to finish. It was TOO.MUCH.

My curly hair at this point had decided to really embrace humidity and began to frizz completely.
The black liner I had applied that morning had now begun to drip down my face.

Full.
Sweaty.
Yuck.
This tour was over.

11pm I finally opened the front door of my building. My doorman took one look at me and exclaimed - You're DRUNK!
I didn't have the energy to explain that I don't even drink.
I looked too much a hot mess for him to even try and believe me.

I'll leave the I Eat Soho to my friend Nabil.

No comments: