Visitors

Friday, March 25, 2011

being present.

It all happened on a plane ride back from Toronto. Small, commuter plane, lends itself to good self reflection.

My good friend, who will remain unnamed but who most can probably figure out by process of elimination, turned to me and said - I'm gonna work on planning things more, so I can get more things done that I want to get done. I looked at her and said - I need to work on the exact opposite.

Thus started a spiral of events that led to me think about something I usually come to think about twice a year - the pace of my life.

So we made a deal this friend and I. I gave her a task, and she gave me one. Mine was to have 2 days a month where absolutely nothing is planned. Where I wake up and just do "what the spirit moves me to do", as the Navajo would say.
So far I have had two days such as these. It has been - brilliant. Have done things I would have never done had I planned it. And, best of all, I was living in the present. I thought about what I wanted to do and just did it, instead of thinking about how much time I had to get something done before I had to get to my next thing.

Living in the moment. Being present - as the yogi's put it. My friend on a plane - she is on to something. And we have come to see that it's the balance of us both that makes life livable.

No comments: