Visitors

Monday, January 2, 2012

what i wouldn't do for Taco Bell.

It's New Years Eve 2011, about to turn into 2012. I am staying at a hotel in Seattle because I have an early flight the next morning out of SeaTac.
Some may think that spending New Years Eve alone in a hotel room in a random city seems sad and depressing. But, to be honest, I was looking forward to it for weeks. I have this thing about hotels. I love the crisp white linen, the fact that I can spread my things all over the place, and the TV straight in front of my bed...I love everything about it. So I was looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the last evening of 2011. My excitement was increased when I saw a Taco Bell (my all time favorite) across the street from the hotel.
Taco Bell, crap TV, and a big fluffy bed? Sounds like a dream come true to me.
I left the hotel lobby to make my way across the street. Just then I noticed a guy, maybe in his mid to late twenties, making his way across the parking lot too. He seemed to be going the same route I was going so for fear of him thinking he had a stalker, I walked a little slower so he wouldn't notice. Sure enough we were headed through the parked cars, across the curb, through the shrubbery and on to the street. I tried to keep my distance, but it was cold out so I had to hustle. We got to the light and I was a few steps behind him, so he was able to run across. I stayed at the light. I watched him approach the Taco Bell and try the door - locked. WHAT?!? I thought, can't be!
I watched him walk around to the other door and then come back, defeated, to the light on the corner.
So it's at this point where I become a little crazy.
"Wait - it's closed? Are you serious?"
I begin yelling across the street as if I KNOW the guy. He, clearly (or intentionally) cannot hear me. I'd like to think it was the 6 lanes of traffic I was screaming over.
"Are you freaking kidding me? How could it not be open?!"
Again, nothing from him.
The light finally turns and I cross the street.
As I get closer to him, I say, "Hey, is it closed or something? Are you serious?"
He nods, says it is closed, and crosses the street the other way.
I go to the door and see the sign that says it should be open for another 45 minutes. I jiggle the door and the lady behind the counter looks up and tells me it is closed. I do something, who knows what, but something that encourages he to come to the door. I have a feeling she knew I wasn't going to let this go. I wanted Taco Bell tonight and I was going to get Taco Bell.
She comes to the door and tells me that only the drive thru is open right now.
"Is there any way I can just walk through? I just returned my car. I am so sad. All I wanted was Taco Bell. I only want 3 small things. Can I walk through?"
My mouth is running and I am WELL aware of how crazy I sound but I can't seem to stop the words. She is looking at me in half shock/half pity.
"OK - come in, quick, and order."
Yeeesssss!!!!
I run in after her and place my order in such a rush that I forget to order a drink. Hmmm..."Can I just get a cup for water, Ma'am?"
I pay, get my food, get my small clear plastic cup for water, and head to the fountain drinks, fill up that cup with diet soda (I don't know what got into me, I mean really? I wasn't thinking straight!) and turn towards the door.
Blocking the food and stolen soft drink with my body, I make a run for the door. "Thank you, thank you!" I yell, as I open the door and make my escape.
Except - there he is. The guy I was "stalking" earlier.
I look down to avoid eye contact, afraid of the look he will give me knowing I not only was just an enormous brat for getting myself into Taco Bell and getting food, but also that I was walking out with a cup clearly made for water but filled with soda.
Thankfully right then, the light turned and he started walking. I, of course, followed. Same path back, through the shrubs, over the curb, across the parking lot and into the hotel lobby. I tried slowing way way down, but was still pretty close behind him.
I waited a few minutes before going into the lobby to give him time to disappear. I went in and turned left - there he was. Ugh! Behind him again!
He walked straight, I followed. He turned left, I followed. He turned right onto the 6th wing, and, again - I followed. Down, down, down the l-o-n-g corridor, I was right behind him, the smell of Taco Bell in the halls and the slushing of my soda echoing up and down the hallway. Finally, he got to his room - ONE DOOR AWAY FROM MINE. He looked up at me, quickly looked down again, unlocked his room door, and disappeared.
I let out a deep breath, walked into my room, and fell into fits of laughter at the image of how incredibly creepy I just looked for the last 20 minutes.
Then I enjoyed my Taco Bell, sat on my fluffy bed, and rang in the new year.

No comments: