Visitors

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Visit to the NYC Public Library

There is something so inspiring about libraries. I decided today, after 5 years of living in New York City, to visit the big public library on 5th Avenue. The building itself is astounding, and the molding and intricate design of the interior is nothing short of inspiring. I walked the halls, David Grey in ear, and got lost up and down the stairs leading from one room to another. Why I waited so long to discover this place is beyond me. It is a place of total solitude which resides in the right smack dead center of this crazy, hectic, buzzing City I call home.
I finally stumbled upon a room with rows upon rows of tables, with only a smattering of folks occupying the chairs which belonged to them. Paintings adorned the walls with portraits of what I would only assume are great writers of the past.
I found a seat - at this point the music had been turned off because there is something so incredible about the sound of silence and minds at work.
I began reading from Paulo Coelho's book of thoughts and reflections, Like the Flowing River. He had one piece about a pianist in a mall. He explained how that one talented man played because it made him happy, because he loved the piano. This part resonated: 'we each of us have our personal legend to fulfill, and that is all. It doesn't matter of other people support us or criticize us, or ignore us, or put up with us - we are doing it because that is our destiny on this earth, and the fount of all joy...He was talking to God through his work, and nothing else mattered.'
Here's to discovering our own personal legends and having the courage to fulfill them.

2 comments:

montague said...

love the public library! it's beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

Sahba is blogging again. Yippeee! The big library is wonderful. I studied for the bar there, and still love it anyway (which says a lot!)